Sunday, February 15, 2009

Winter Wonderland!






Our family enjoyed a Valentine's Day treat in Flagstaff, AZ. We went to play in the snow. Saturday morning we awoke to falling snow. A first for most of my children. The Banini's were so excited to watch the snow fall from the sky. Mom, me, was a little nervous to drive on the unplowed roads, but with the memory of Wisconsin, we headed out anyway to enjoy the falling snow and find a great place to play. Dad took some beautiful photos of the scenery. We went up the road to Snowbowl, the sign said chains were recommended but not required, so we took a chance and really enjoyed the drive. We only slipped in our monster van twice! The boys wanted to get out and play every time we paused to take a scenic picture. Since their is no sledding allowed at Snowbowl, we turned around and went back down to find another location. We drove Highway 180 unplowed for about 10 miles and found a really nice, FREE spot to sled and play. (Flagstaff only received about 1-2 inches of snow overnight, so the roads were not that bad....Just to a desert driver, they seemed daunting and FUN!)

The boys and I sled for about an hour, while Dad took photos of the area. Banini #2 gave up first, then Banini #1 and Banini #3. Baninis #4 and #5 both came in last, because I had them in actual snowsuits. I have realized we need snow pants for all the boys and some real jackets and gloves. The oven mitts I packed for Banini #3 worked really well though. His hands stayed dry and he could scoop all the snow he wanted to scoop. We drove home slowly and safely.

The best Valentine's Days do not come with roses or chocolates, or even dinner alone with the Stallion of your life....it is the happy time spent with loved ones being cherished for all the quirks we possess. We send our love to all our family, friends, and those needing some love.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

That last picture of Clark is SO CUTE! See, I remember his name because we bonded! Man, we missed getting together again huh? I totally spaced it, and all we did today was hang out and try to get our garden going. I'll call you and see if we can set up another time!

Thefab4 said...

Marv didn't tell me you had a blog! I saw an email from you awhile back with your blog link. What an adorable family the two of you have!!! 5 boys WOW!!! Take Care!
Julie

Susan said...

I love the pics of the snow with the blue sky! How fun. What a beautiful day to go sledding. Wish we would have been there too. I recognize that cute little Clark's outfit. LOL!

Carolyn said...

Hey Shauna--here's my email so you can give me your number. I promist to call before I loose it!(again)
www.whitingcarolyn@yahoo.com

Project 365